Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Board
Mission: The mission of the ABAI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Board is to foster and develop an inclusive, equitable, and just environment for all individuals and groups within the science and practice of behavior analysis and beyond.
Behavior scientists and practitioners have the capacity to contribute to individual and collective well-being through scientific and practical endeavors that include substantive and diverse representation. Toward that end, the DEI Board is dedicated to:
- Recognizing the value of each individual and group;
- Maintaining an ongoing and vigilant commitment to the advancement of knowledge on DEI issues through research, study, collaboration, and communication of that knowledge to the scientific community, policy makers, and the public;
- Including, at every level of science and practice, those who have been traditionally marginalized and under-resourced;
- Creating environments that are welcoming, safe, and encouraging to all;
- Promoting implementation of practices that support and respect diversity of identity and experience;
- Establishing formal and effective communication and feedback mechanisms related to inclusion within ABAI;
- Developing and promoting the use of metrics of diversification, inclusion, and equity within ABAI and behavior analysis in general;
- Evaluating the impact of ABAI’s DEI initiatives;
- Supporting ABAI Boards in relation to DEI efforts;
- Providing policy and procedure recommendations to ABAI Council.
Elizabeth Fong (2021–2024)
Jovonnie Esquierdo-Leal (2018–2023)
Jomella Watson-Thompson (2022–2025)
May Beaubrun (2022–2025)
R. Wayne Fuqua (2020–2023)
Nicole Hollins (2022–2025)
Daniel Kwak (2022–2025)
Frances McSweeney (2020–2023)
Adel Nadjowski (2022–2025)
Volunteer for DEI Board
ABAI is a member of the Societies Consortium on Sexual Harassment in STEMM, the strategic focus of which is to, “[build] communities actively intolerant of sexual and intersecting bases of harassment and [build] bridges for collective efforts across STEMM—among societies, academic and research institutions, teaching hospitals and others, as well as researchers, faculty, and students.”
Grants & Awards
Distinguished Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Board of the Association for Behavior Analysis International (ABAI) invites ABAI members to nominate worthy candidates for its 2023 Award for Distinguished Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
This award seeks to recognize, reward, and promote achievements with documented impact on diversity, equity, and inclusion. The award is envisioned as a mechanism for highlighting creative DEI programming and the central role of diversity, equity, and inclusion in individual and institutional success. The award can go to an individual or team from the public or private sector, working within the field of behavior analysis or in other areas. The goal is to emphasize effective models of action in DEI. Membership in ABAI is not required for nominees.
The Award for Distinguished Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is presented at each year’s ABAI Annual Convention in a DEI event to honor the awardee(s). The awardee will receive a $2,000 honorarium as well as complimentary conference registration and travel reimbursement for one individual to present an invited address describing their work. Nominations for the award will be received and considered by the DEI Board, and the award winner will be determined by the Board.
Please submit your nomination using the online form here. You must be logged into your ABAI portal account to do so. Your nominations will assist the DEI Board in identifying potential awardees, and your participation is greatly appreciated. Recommendations for 2023 will be accepted through September 1, 2022.
Submit a Nomination
Scholarly Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Paper Competition
The deadline for the Scholarly Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Paper Competition has passed. Details about the 2023 competition will be posted Summer 2022. Past winners may be found here.
Innovative Student Research Grant in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The application period for the Innovative Student Research Grant in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion has passed. Please check back in fall 2022 for details about 2023 grant application.