ABAI's strategic plan guides the Executive Council in determining objectives and programs to best support our field. The strategic plan provides continuity for council decision making over time and is reviewed every 3 years to assess how the association is meeting its goals. Each area of the plan includes objectives and measures used to assess strengths and opportunities for development.
To contribute to the well-being of society by developing, enhancing, and supporting the growth and vitality of the science of behavior analysis through research, education, and practice.
Field of Behavior Analysis
To develop, improve, and support research.
- Number of grants and amount of funding received by ABAI members.
- Number of members in grant study sections.
- Funding amount by funding agency.
- Funding allocation by area of research.
- Number of grant training sessions and evaluation of sessions.
- Publication data: number of articles, chapters, and books published by ABAI members, and number of publications addressing specific problems.
- Number of scientists or researchers....Hide
To recruit, train, and professionally develop behavior analysts.
- Number of students in graduate training programs in behavior analysis.
- Number of students graduating from programs in behavior analysis.
- Number of students placed in the work force after graduation.
- Accreditation data: number of accredited programs, number of programs applying for accreditation, and number of programs approved for accreditation.
- Number of advanced degrees granted.
- Number of accredited programs that are also BACB-approved course sequences.
- Number of faculty and students....Hide
To develop, improve, and disseminate best practices in the application of behavior analysis.
- Continuing education: number of events, number of providers, number of participants, number of credits allocated, and number and quality of continuing education opportunities provided outside ABAI.
- Number of BACB certificants.
- Employment trends of graduates.
- Number of practitioners....Hide
To disseminate to the general public the field of behavior analysis in its scope.
- Results of targeted dissemination efforts (number of participants).
- Impact of information disseminated on website, social media, and media outlets such as TV, newspapers, and YouTube.
- ABAI newsletter.
- Number of chapter meetings where ABAI is represented....Hide
To recruit, retain, and recognize members.
- Membership: number of members, demographic and educational characteristics of members, membership growth, composition of members, and number of Fellows.
- Retention: transition trends in membership.
- Other: election participation and number of student presenters funded.
- SIG Data: number of SIGs, number of members in SIGs, goals, activities and how it helps them, and dissemination activities (newsletters, websites, social media, etc.)....Hide
- Affiliated Chapters
To strengthen, support, and coordinate ABAI affiliated chapters.
- Number of chapters.
- Number of members in affiliated chapters.
- Number of new affiliated chapters.
- Number of affiliated chapters lost, annually.
- Educational level of affiliated chapter officers.
- Number of affiliated chapter members that are ABAI members.
- Satisfaction of chapter leaders....Hide
- Associate Chapters
To incorporate chapter members into ABAI’s membership.
- Number of associate chapters.
- Number of members in associate chapters.
- Number of new associate chapters.
- Number of associate chapters lost, annually.
- Satisfaction of chapter leaders....Hide
To produce convention and conference programs and to enhance their quality.
- Number and composition of presenters.
- Number and composition of submissions.
- Number and composition of presentations.
- Number of applied, basic research, service delivery, and theory submissions.
- Number of student presentations....Hide
To publish scholarly journals.
- Publication: number of pages published, number of manuscripts submitted versus accepted, topics published, publication lags, and financial data.
- Distribution: subscriptions and impact factor of Perspectives on Behavior Analysis, Behavior Analysis in Practice, The Psychological Record, and The Analysis of Verbal Behavior.
- Financial data: sales and return on investment....Hide
To set policy, lead, and oversee the operation of all components of the organization.
- Number of votes of members.
- Input of members.
- Communication with members.
- Assessment of SWOT and strategic action plan....Hide
To implement the directions of the Executive Council; manage and continuously improve finances, administration, and products and service offerings.
- Finances: balanced budget, net worth (assets-liabilities), investment performance, funds in reserve, and audit results.
- Administration: human resources, business process, and infrastructure.
- Product and service diversification, profitability, and satisfaction: convention and conferences (registration, exhibitors/sponsors, CEUs, onsite store), membership (individual, associate), journals, and others (e.g., jobs, learning center).
- Convention and conferences: attendance, demographic and educational characteristics of attendees, and composition of attendees.
- Number and type of events: convention, international conferences, and topical conferences.
- International conferences: countries of origin, number of attendees, and program composition. ...Hide
Print ABAI's Strategic Plan